A core value is a central belief clearly understood and shared by every member of the school community. At Buxton Community School our values are:
- We want everyone to be happy and confident at our school. We should always treat everyone fairly and with respect. We think it’s important that everybody works their hardest. We like our work to be fun and we like it when we have choices in our learning.
- We want the school to be clean and safe. We also believe we should show we care about the environment. We want to be a ‘green school’ that helps to make the world a better place.
- We want everyone at our school to be caring, polite, considerate and interested in other people.
- We are a learning community where all young people are valued equally.
- Outstanding learning is achieved only where there are positive relationships, enthusiasm and enjoyment.
- We are prepared to take risks and try out new ways of learning to make sure we challenge all young people to achieve their best.
- We believe that students will progress furthest when they are actively engaged in enjoyable learning.
- We believe all our students should develop intellectually, physically, socially, culturally and morally. We want everyone to appreciate awe, wonder and beauty.
- It is important our students learn how to show tolerance and care towards others and develop the ability to create and sustain healthy relationships throughout their lives.
- Learning should widen our students’ horizons. We want our students to feel they belong to our local community, whilst developing a sense of their sense of their identity in relation to the wider world.
- We are committed to challenging inequality and injustice to ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed.
- We believe we can only provide a culture where our students can flourish by ensuring we maintain the same values in caring for and developing our staff and all members of our school community.
- Whilst we strive to do the right thing, we accept our fallibility. We approach all members of our community with openness and honesty and a commitment to put things right if they go wrong.