Free School Meals
Eligibility for Free School Meals
Families in Derbyshire are being reminded to check whether they may be eligible for free school meals.
Research has proven that a school meal contributes to;
- improved behaviour in the afternoon
- improved concentration in the classroom
- a reinforcement of social skills and positive behaviour throughout the day
- a habit for healthy eating which is likely to stay with the child for life
- an increased intake of vegetables and a decline in consumption of soft drinks and crisps
Applying for free school meals is a simple process and there is no need to worry about other children knowing who does and doesn’t get free school meals. We operate a swipe card system and the allocated amount is put on the child’s card each day. Every student’s card looks exactly the same.
Parents and carers are able to claim free school meals if they are on any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (with an annual income of less than £16,190)
- Universal Credit
Parents can't claim free school meals if they claim Working Tax Credit.
Please find below the link to make a free school meal application. If you have any queries or would like to discuss free school meals further, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Mulhall on 01298 212155.