Why Choose Us?
Buxton Community School offers a very wide range of A level subjects for Sixth Form students. We also offer an extensive programme of complementary studies, which includes a choice of enrichment courses, the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, participation in musical and drama productions as well as opportunities for service to the school and community. It is our aim to give our students as broad an experience as possible during their two years in the Sixth Form.
Our students’ A level performance over the past three years is also excellent in terms of 'added value'. This view is supported through an annual independent report published by 'Alps', a national system of A level results analysis which is recognised by Ofsted. The great majority of our students progress to Higher Education, with a significant proportion successfully gaining places on competitive courses at Russell Group universities.
There is a very effective tutor system in the Sixth Form and we take great interest in your progress, providing advice and encouragement when needed. The emphasis is on self-motivated, independent learning, developing new skills, and taking greater responsibility for your own work.
Students who decide to enter the Sixth Form at Buxton Community School will be presented with the very best opportunities to achieve their academic and personal potential. They will be given the fullest support in achieving their aims and aspirations and we do everything we can to help them get the university places of their choice and fulfil their future career paths.
In particular, we provide:
- A wide choice of academic courses to cater for all abilities and interests
- High quality teaching, with individual supervision and regular reports
- An opportunity to develop the independent learning skills you will need for Higher Education and employment
- A friendly and supportive environment where you feel valued and cared for
- Excellent facilities, including two study areas, and a common room area.
- Many opportunities to engage in exciting extra-curricular and social activities
- A specialist careers advisory service to give you the support you need to achieve your ambition
If you would like any further information or a visit to our Sixth Form, please Ms Jackie Cruse, Head of Sixth Form (Contact)
We look forward to welcoming you to Buxton Community School Sixth Form!
Meet the Head of Sixth Form ..........
Mrs Cruse on a fun Sixth Form trip to her home city of Liverpool, enjoying time at the Cavern Walks.