Year 9 Options
We are pleased to be able to share the following Padlet where staff and students share their views on different subjects. We are sure that you will find this very useful. Please follow this link: http://bit.ly/bcsoptions
Making curriculum choices in Year 9 is a very important part of your time in school. It is an opportunity for you to take control of your education and shape the way you want your future to be. The options you choose for Years 10 and 11 will affect how you spend your time at school for the next two years.
You now have fantastic opportunities available to you that will help you get the future that you want. Years 10 and 11 are not just about GCSEs. There are other types of qualifications on offer as well. These qualifications are taught in different ways, and it may be that one type suits YOU more than others.
It is important to choose subjects that will interest you and motivate you. Spend some time thinking about what you enjoy doing, what keeps you interested in something and what makes you work hard. Remember that you are not alone in making these decisions, everyone in Year 9 is going through the same process. Teachers, friends, parents, carers and family will be able to guide advise and support you in this important decision making process.
Good reasons for choosing an option
- You are good at the subject
- You think you will enjoy the course
- It fits your career ideas and plans
- It goes well with your other choices
- It helps to give you plenty of choice post 16
- You think you might want to continue studying it post 16
- Your research shows that it will interest you and motivate you to learn.
Bad reasons for choosing an option
- Your friends have chosen it
- You think it will be easy
- You think it’s a good option for a boy/girl
- Someone else thinks it is a good idea
- You like the teacher you have now
- You did not have time to research your options properly
We believe that all students need a curriculum which gives them a mix of academic, creative, practical and social skills to fit them for life in the fast moving world of the 21st century. Our aim is such that each student can follow a personalised learning plan which is both broad and balanced both in terms of the range of subjects they study and also with regards to the type of qualification and the learning style involved.